Tuesday 13 January 2015

The postcard art group

        

                        


                                                                   the postcard art group

So I have been carrying out this plan for a little concept I have been thinking about for a while. Finding myself in this the age of digital media and social networking I would like to create a little antithesis of such, I find it full of too much virtual sentiment, it's too easy and I have an issue with that, I'm looking for some integrity, however I like the idea of sharing and creating so want to try to do it in a different way.

I like to 
create some small pieces of art, drawing, painting and collages and what have you on watercolour postcards and use the traditional method of sharing, old fashioned mail, as in the postal service.
I want to do so for number of reasons, I have an affinity with post, I like it, it strikes a chords like no other thing, it is still kind of magical that I can put something in a red box fifty meters from my house and it can go anywhere in the whole world for pence.... My dad also was a postman for fifty years so I guess it's in my blood. I get a bit tired of only seeing things on a screen too. There is a deep joy in receiving and sending mail, a commitment and sense of intimacy. The idea of sharing real things is refreshing and then sending on or not is also perhaps becoming a real rarity. My post is now so boring as well, I used to love writing and getting letters from friends and family all over and like to share it with others. Also physical things moving around and the risk and transient nature of a piece of actual artwork however small also appeals to me.

The group now has about one hundred like minded individuals round the world who are exchanging and sending, creative people open to sharing and all who I know have integrity, passion and creativity they would like to show, I hope more join in, the idea is to use watercolour postcards as a base for your work, they are cheap, standard size and very cheap to post. I get mine on amazon for about 3 quid for fifteen. Then to the art, whatever you want, spend as little or as long as you like on it, drawing, painting, thin collage, designs weaving, sewing, inks whatever. Can be a five minute doodle a painting, print...whatever... it's the physical act of sharing it that counts. I think maybe doing about 5 or 10 a month to share is a good start, too much and it might become a chore or ineffective...it might be more if you want but that seems a good place to start.

The individuality of it is what I like. Then you can just write maybe a title of the piece on it and in small script your address, this means that people can see who sent it and can respond to it if they want, also they can re post it to someone else who they think might like it, just a way of sharing. I understand some might have reservations about sharing address and if this is the case don't worry, you can send them to me without it and I will forward and receive and send 

At best it could be the start of an amazing , beautiful, creative experience and a way of seeing making and sharing some art first hand, at worst you might get some nice post once in a while....
Let me know by simple email if you like the idea, feel free to suggest improvements or ideas too, this is all in my confused jumble of a brain,

Yours in creative anticipation,

Michael M F X Rofe

Founder of the Postcard Art Group 


31 comments:

  1. I'd like to participate in this group. Email me at redgecko100 at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting. I would like to learn more about it... Please email DrawKevinDraw [at] gmail.com... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    Please send details to thegildedmonkey at icloud dot com
    I would be grateful if you could delete this comment once you have note of my email address
    Many thanks
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I'd like to take part in the postcard project as well please. It's actually something I tried to get going a few years ago but kind of lost momentum.

    I'm beardybollocks gmail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to be part of this. My email is avdblynd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful idea, I would like to join (I am a friend of you in Instagram - gadifren)
    My Email: gadifren@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I'd like to be a part of this!
    timothyhodge at mac dot com
    Instagram: baldmelon
    Tumblr: baldmelon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to join, please. Email at julietarsha08 at gmail. Instagram: simplymamacita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Michael

    This sounds interesting, curious and fun - mark@velomorpha.cc

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michael
    I'd love to join in
    My email is
    oglennen@gmail.com
    Such a beautiful way to share stories 🌿
    Kind regards
    Oriel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michael! This looks like a really fun idea and I'm very interested in joining!
    You can email me at marcicorbin@gmail.com

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to join for August. My email is heypange@gmail.com THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. strange goings on with "the Google". three times a charm, so please admit me to the postcard art exchange group, if you please. I would be most grateful to find something lovely in my mailbox. I am:
    411campbell at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi please add me to the post card art group! ^_^
    Email: edie.jiang@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello- I really love this idea and would be thrilled to join the group! My email is: shaneywatters@gmail.com. I thank you and can't wait to start.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I'd love to join the group, the idea is very interesting. I love as well your work! My email: sibilasnakeou@hotmail.com. Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd like to join please, there's something special about getting mail that's not flyers or bills. I look forward to participating. samantha.dc.burns@live.com
    (Sorry if this double posted, my browser had a bit of a blip)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do I join? perez.j.alberto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,
    I'm a painter from Israel and use mostly water colours. I love your work, and the project is very interesting. I would like to join and understand how it works.
    Thanks, Yaeli Ziv, email: yaeliziv at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Could I join? My email is heather dot hertzel (at) gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to join Kaileyb616@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds wonderful! I'm an illustrator and I just found you on Instagram, (I'm The_paper_Woodland) and I would love to join! my email is thepaperwoodland on gmail. Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Michael. I've just found you on Instagram {I'm WobblyLines.NZ}, and I would love to join your postcard group. My email is: maclyn.crafts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Michael. I've just found you on Instagram {I'm WobblyLines.NZ}, and I would love to join your postcard group. My email is: maclyn.crafts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry I missed the blog link on instagram - my email is xoefiss@gmail.com and I would love to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can I join the group please. My e-mail is buku4me at gmail dot com. instagram: chatgarou

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to join in please. My email is claudbinns@gmail.com Instagram @claudbinns

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd be interested in participating s.maddox75@gmail.com thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I’ll give it a go and see what happens.
    lizoppATgmailDOTcom

    Blessings,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete